pool

pool

Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Sweet Joys of Motherhood...

As Owen is growing stronger and developing I am able to experience so many joyful  moments with my son. One of them being the first time Owen took a pacifier. Most moms would write this off as any normal baby behavior. With Owen's kidney failure, doctors had forewarned us that he would likely not develop a sucking ability and likely never feed from a bottle or breastfeed. The moment Owen took his paci, I can't even explain the joy that was rushing through my body. Tears, of course, flowed like rain down my face, as I watched my sweet boy suck away! Owen is now best friends with his paci, and has it in his mouth for most of the day.


   Another moment in which my heart almost exploded with joy was when I was finally able to feed Owen a bottle. Granted, he has only drank about a total of 20ml using a bottle, but the fact that he is proving to our doctors he is no ordinary patient is amazing! I managed to keep myself together through his feeding, as we had many people helping us, but I think I was still speechless! :) Owen is fed a breastmilk/formula mix. His milk is fortified with lots of extra protein, calories, and vitamins. Your kidneys actually do more than just make pee...they have a lot to do with your nutrition, growth and blood pressure. So Owen is fed "muscle milk" as we like to call it!


   We were able to remove Owen Foley catheter today! This is the catheter that was in his bladder to let it drain. The catheter was a big pain when we tried to hold Owen, as it was a big tube! The nurses are now doing intermittent cathing, or "straight cathing" where they place a tube that is open at the end every three hours to drain his bladder. Praise God for getting rid of tubes!!

  Please continue to pray for Owen's development and healing. I know that the Lord is here, prepared to amaze our doctors and nurses. He has blessed our time of suffering and I have come to understand what it means to completely surrender all to him. He is loving on Owen everyday and will be here with every step we take. Our journey is only beginning, but the Lord is paving our path before us. Praise God for the healing and development we have seen thus far!

Owen stylin' in his Baby Legs! You can still be cool when you're in the hospital!

3 comments:

  1. Owen is soo stylin in his baby legs!! Those are my favorite pair - I looove orange!! So glad you were able to feed him a bottle :) I bet that was SO precious!! I can't even imagine how wonderful motherhood will be :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're getting so close, Shannon! It will be here before you know it. Enjoy every last moment of your pregnancy, I was a little sad when he wasn't in there anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spoke to your dad and Will at the DC/OHS football game tonight. They were enjoying the game together. I was so excited to get to talk to him. Love and prayers. Vicki Hast

    ReplyDelete