pool

pool

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Life after surgery

     So as you read in the previous post, Owen has had quite the round of surgeries since birth. However, we have been told that we are in the clear for a few months! Urology is in charge of Owen's surgeries and they have told us that the next surgery will be to ablate, or open the valve that is blocking flow in his urethra. This will be done around 6 months, as he needs to grow a little more.

    SO...this being said we are now just waiting for dialysis to kick in and get going consistently. For those of you on facebook, you might now that this has been a battle since we started. In order for dialysis to be performed the PD Catheter (see previous post for picture or info) must completely heal. The skin around the tube coming out of Owen's belly needs to heal and seal up so the PD fluid cannot leak out. Well, we have had major leakage issues! Dialysis has been started 4 times, this 4th time being our most successful. There is still a small amount of leaking around the site, but the dressing is not becoming saturated, as it has before. So, continue to pray for healing around the site as we Praise God for letting us start again with little problems! Without using dialysis Owen can clear fluid by peeing, but he does not rid himself of the toxins that kidneys are designed to do. Also, they have to monitor how many fluids he is given, thus compromising his nutrition. Nephrologists have decided tolerate the bit of leaking in order to maximize Owen's nutrition and milk intake.

   Speaking of milk, I am taking any suggestions out there on increasing milk supply. Owen has not been able to nurse or take a bottle, but I have been pumping pretty much around the clock...with little success. The doctors and lactation nurses have assured me that it is only stress, but I don't see my stress levels completely decreasing any time soon! I am currently taking Fenugreek and Regalin to hopefully get a bigger supply, as well as pumping every 2 hours, and 4 at night. It's quite exhausting!  But, it's definitely best for Owen, so we will make it work. BUT, we have been told that soon we should be able to try to let Owen nurse! :) His is coming down on his oxygen need and once he is weaned we will start trying feeds. He has had a few days of taste testing and he seems to enjoy it. I am so excited to experience the joy of nursing my son and the bonding time we will have!

   Other news: It's Owen's 4 week birthday!! Happy Birthday Sweet Boy, we love you more than anything.

3 comments:

  1. Owen is just adorable :) I love his hairline! and that is one adorable gown -- I *love* orange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are doing everything possible to increase your milk supply and I find that very awesome and just wanted to tell you so. I am a mother of 4 and my last one is 23 months old and nursed until she was 17 months old. Breastfeeding is one of the hardest things that I ever did in my life but with the biggest reward because I knew it was the best thing that I could do also. I also wanted to give up many times and understand why so many people do give up early in the process. I think that breastfeeding is one of those personal things that you decide on a daily basis whether the pluses outweigh the minuses. So to answer your question, just as I stated above I think that you are doing everything you can for Owen when it comes to breastfeeding and that if you decide to continue that would be awesome but if you are not able at least you gave it your best shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know me, but I am the wife of a third year medical student at UK, and I just wanted you to know that I am praying for you and your family. My daughter was born in December 2008 and experienced a one-month NICU stay at KCH and two major surgeries. It was a touch-and-go for awhile, and I can really identify with what you're going through. Reading through your blog, I have been in tears, and also moved by your faith and strength. I also struggled with pumping in the midst of the stress of a critically ill baby, and know how difficult that is. (I was never able to successfully nurse Caitlyn, but I did pump for 9 months - it does get easier) I would be more than happy to talk with you about my experience with that and help in any way I can. I know it was helpful for me to talk with others in a similar situation. You can email me at beth.mcroberts@yahoo.com, and I would be happy to talk. Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you, and I will certainly be following your journey with beautiful Owen.

    ReplyDelete