pool

pool

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Surgery Time

We watched our son be carried away to surgery about 30 minutes ago. We were able to be in the "holding room" with him until the doctors were completely ready. I don't think there are words to describe the emotions running through my body. There are too many to process at the time.

I can say, that with great fear, comes great faith. As much as I wanted to push through those doors and run down the hallway that my boy was travelling down, I was okay. Okay, in knowing that our doctors are well trained and skillful,but more than okay in knowing that someone else is directing this surgery. The One who carefully knit each cell together in Owen's body and planned his life in perfect order to glorify a God who saves.

Owen's surgery should be starting soon. It is a little after 8am (eastern time). Please continue to pray for wisdom for our doctors as we have unfortunately been reminded several times about just how "complicated" Owen's anatomy is. Pray that our doctors' hands will be blessed by The Great Physician and Owen's surgery will go quickly, without complications and a fast recovery.

The surgery is scheduled for 4 hours and 24 mins. They are planning to extubate him following surgery and give him a shot similar to an epidural that should relieve pain for about 8 hours. He will also have a morphine pump and scheduled Tylenol. Please pray that Owen will not be in any pain, as he has already had a difficult time realizing he isn't home and there have been so, so many doctors and nurses coming in to examine him, he was quite fussy before surgery began.

"But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may work in me."
                                                                                                                          -2 Corinthians 12:9

I am weak. Especially today. But, I think God needs me to be weak. So that through my overwhelming weakness, I will see Him work. I will look to Him and give Him all. And through this, I will see with my eyes what my heart longs for. I will see faith that can move mountains and an everlasting love that holds my sweet baby tighter than I ever could.

"He gives strength to the weary, and increases the hand of the weak." Isaiah 40:29

2 comments:

  1. Praying for your little boy this morning and for you and your husband as well! May peace rule and reign in your hearts this morning. The Lord is able to do exceedingly above all that we could ask or imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayers and best wishes with baby Owen and your family. You do not know me or my family yet, but I do yours. Dr. H from Cincinnati Children's hospital gave us your number.Our 4 month old has been diagnosed with ESRD.I could not stop reading this blog the whole night on Dec2nd and I told the doctors and nurses that you guys are extraordinary humanbeings. Not sure if me or my husband can acheieve the mental maturity/faith you guys have. Owen is just so so lucky to have parents like you. I know and understand the OR pain you are talking about , have been there and I have cried my heart out with pain everytime they took my lil one into the OR. I am sure this surgery will be successful. Waiting for your next blog to read about it.

    ReplyDelete