pool

pool

Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Marathon Hurdler

Athlete: I am not.

Track Star: Definitely not.

A Marathon Hurdler: I've come to be.

I've always been amazed at the men and women who compete in hurdles in track and field. They way they seem to so effortlessly run with great speed, all while clearing bars set almost as tall as me.

I'm not in a sprint race, this journey is a marathon. This week, I've realized it's not only a marathon, it's a marathon laced with many, many hurdles.

We have been thrown, yet again another hurdle, but I'm confident with all our practice over the past couple years, we can clear this one, one step at a time.

Owen's bladder is bad. Very bad. This isn't "new" news to us. In fact, it's a botched bladder that is the root of all of Owen's health problems. The blockage in his bladder is what led to his ultimate kidney failure.

However, we were on the right track. Six months after transplant we received wonderful news that Owen's latest bladder testing had shown remarkable improvements. Our doctor, (who is very wise, yet very straightforward which comes off as slightly pessimistic) was ecstatic.

This week's appointment was quite the opposite. Owen's bladder is showing deterioration from his last appointment. It has shrunk in size, under a lot of pressure and very rigid around the edges. Our doctor believes the source of our problems is lying within our cathing schedule.

Immediately after transplant a foley catheter was placed in Owen's bladder and left there for a week or so. This is the type of catheter you see people have in the hospital. There is a bag attached to the end and you can easily measure the urine output. This was necessary because Owen was produced multiple liters of urine post transplant. In order to keep his adult sized kidney hydrated and to avoid it being in "shock" he was given a lot of fluids. Which meant he made a lot of pee. Since we knew Owen's bladder could not be trusted and we did not want it refluxing back in to his new kidney, we had a very strict cathing regimen of every 2 hours throughout the day, and then placing the foley catheter at night, letting it dwell for 8 hours. We were eventually moved to a 4 hour interval during the day, but kept the nighttime foley because Owen was getting fluids over the pump throughout the night, which meant he was making more urine overnight than the average person.

It's the foley. Long term use of a foley catheter can cause damage and irritation. Praise God we have an answer (hopefully) and we have already began implementing new changes to our daily schedule to get more fluids in during the day, and none at night. This will require Michael and I to wake and cath him a few times throughout the night. Our doctor made several suggestions, a medication change and of course a schedule change. We are confident that the changes will result in bladder restoration and we will see that in our upcoming visits.

We return in 3 weeks with an ultrasound and then in 6 weeks, Owen will be making another trip to the OR for a cystoscopy. This is where the doctor will insert a camera into his bladder to see exactly what we are dealing with.

Thank you, prayer warriors for your immediate support when I called on you yesterday. As upset as this news made me, the tears I shed were those of gratitude and thankfulness for the body of Christ that is surrounding us. Within minutes of posting our news on facebook, I was receiving phone calls, texts, emails and words of encouragement from so many people. We need you again.

Please pray specifically:
1. Owen's bladder will rest during this time.
2. Owen's bladder will strengthen and stretch to hold more urine.
3. Owen's bladder will relax, and be free of the high pressures, causing reflux.

On the way to the hospital yesterday the boys and I were "jamming" to one of our favorite girls: Natalie Grant.

The song I will Not be Moved is a great way to get my morning going and I sang along, praising God as we made our morning drive.

It was absolutely no coincidence that the song I chose to start my day off with, would be the one playing in my head as a lay down to go to sleep.

I will stumble, I will fall down
But I will not be moved
I will make mistakes, I will face heartache,
But I will not be moved
On Christ the Solid Rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand.
I will not be moved.

And the chaos in my life, has been a badge I've worn
And though I have been torn
I will not be moved

I will make mistakes, I will face heartache
But I will not be moved
On Christ the Solid Rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand.
I will not be moved

Click here to listen to the song in it's entirety.

Satan will use this time to easily creep in to my life and make me stumble into a pit of sorrow, and even feeling sorry for myself. Thinking it's time we are due a break. I will not be moved. Again, it is no coincidence that I shared with our friends and readers of my recent joy in finding complete contentment, enjoying my time on this mountaintop. Again, I will not be moved.

Ezekiel 34:26
"I will send down showers in season; there will be showers of blessing."
 
"When you are confronted with a matter that requires immediate prayer, pray until you believe God- until with whole hearted sincerity you can thank Him for the answer...There is nothing that so fully solidifies faith as being so sure of the answer that you can thank God for it."

No comments:

Post a Comment