pool

pool

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

There is a Plan

I was so amazingly blessed to listen to John Piper's sermon Why Was This Child Born Blind today. Piper has a wonderful way of challenging my faith, and encouraging me to dig deeper than ever before into the word of God.

This sermon is based on the words of God found in John 9:1-23. My mother has shared with me numerous times the story of the blind man in these verses. Basically, Jesus' disciples are questioning the cause for a man's blindness. They ask if it is because of the sin of him or of his parents. Jesus responds:

As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him. We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming, when no one can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

I can't begin to tell you how many times I wrestled and questioned God, in fear that my baby suffers because of sin in my life. Praise God, that although suffering exists because of sin, Owen's suffering is designed by God, to glorify Him.

There were times in this sermon that I was brought to tears, being so moved by not only Piper's explanation, but by the word of God.

Piper clearly states:

If you try to deny God’s sovereign, wise, purposeful control over conception and birth you have a head on collision with Exodus 4:11 and psalm 139:13.
Exodus 4:11 The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD?
Psalm 139:13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

Praise God that Owen was not just "looked over" or forgotten upon conception. But that the God of all, who made the stars and created this Earth, knit Owen together in my womb. He carefully crafted every cell in his beautiful body, to be perfect and to bring Him glory.

Please, friends, I ask you to take the time to listen to John Piper's thoughts on John 9:1-23. I promise it will challenge you, touch you, both convict and bless you. God is sovereign, and Owen is perfect, and so blessed by His hand. One day, in perfect timing, the hand of God will relieve Owen of his suffering. Until then, his body will be used to glorify The King who carefully thought out and planned his suffering, to become my ultimate blessing.


http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/sermons/why-was-this-child-born-blind

Owen's suffering is an expression of God's love and one day every tear we have shed over this suffering will be wiped clean. I pray that we will see this suffering as God's love and be blessed by his works in our life.

1 comment:

  1. I am so blessed by you (Tyler).. thank you for sharing

    MOM

    ReplyDelete