pool

pool

Sunday, August 29, 2010

August: The Arrival!

    August proved to be our most exciting month....Owen's arrival! Owen's scheduled C-section date was August 30, 2010. However, Owen thought he might like to meet all his fans a little early. :)

    After about 3 days of on and off labor, including medicine to stop labor that made me crazy, Owen entered the world at 11:40 PM on August, 7 2010. Many have told of the "joys of a c-section" having it planned, no labor pains, quick and easy....well not so much for us! We, in fact did endure plenty of labor pains, actually Owen was in the "transition" phase by the time we delivered. Our doctor's words after delivery: " Wow, that baby was coming out! He was very low!"  Our labor was eventful and quite a bit scary, but produced a very special product!

   When Owen was born, we did not hear the beautiful cry we had hoped for. When he tried to take his first breath, his lung punctured a small hole in it. He was immediately intibated and put on the ventilator. A chest tube was also placed into his lung to help relieve the pressure and let his lung close up. Doctors told Michael that he made need to be on the ventilator for 3-4 days, and they weren't sure about the chest tube. After the doctors were finished with me and got my pain medication settled, I was pushed up to the NICU to see Owen. (Michael had already shown me several pictures, but there is nothing like meeting your child for the first time.)

   Owen hadn't opened his eyes yet, but when I was rolled to his bedside and whispered his name, he peeked out with one little eye. Let me say, that was the most beautiful eye I have ever seen! Being able to put into words exactly how that moment felt is impossible. It's almost as if the world around me completely stopped, it was just the two of us. (This happens pretty much every time I look into my sweet boy's eyes!) For over 8 months I loved this baby with all I had in me, prayed for him, talked to him, sang to him, and here he was, right in front of me! All I could think of was how could God possibly love him more than me?

  Owen stayed at Good Samaritan's NICU until Monday morning. Doctors were amazed to see that in less that 24 hours Owen was off the ventilator and breathing on his own, and the chest tube was removed as well. Owen was already proving just how great our God is!


Just seconds after being born!


Opening one eye to see Mommy for the first time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment